The Highlighted Content web partial is complicated SharePoint’s answer to a classical Content Search and Content Query Web Parts. New facilities will be entrance to this web partial formed on what we schooled during Ignite 2017, though there are some good solutions we can build today.
Highlighted Content — a good apparatus for useful solutions
Highlighted Content is accessible customarily on complicated SharePoint pages. The elementary pattern accessible with a web partial allows we to hurl adult calm in an particular site, a ask library on a site, or opposite an whole reside formed essentially on a form of content: News, Documents, Pages, Video, Images, etc.
It also allows we to filter content formed on elementary properties, such as difference in a tile, calm or equipment recently added, or some-more formidable terms like managed properties such as a Filename or Modified date. I’ve seen some folks angry about things that we can’t yet do, though we cite to concentration on what we can do right now with this good web part. Here are a few solutions that I’ve been anticipating utterly useful regulating this web part.
Summary of news articles by “Type”
There is no unequivocally easy proceed yet to supplement metadata to complicated pages. Yes, that’s inconvenient, though that doesn’t meant it’s unfit to build useful solutions that use metadata. As an example, we have several scenarios on one of my projects where site owners wish to emanate a page that “features” opposite forms of news articles, for example, People Spotlight (articles that underline a story about a chairman on a team) or Tech Talks (articles that underline a tip or recommendation about a product or service). Here are a few ways we have implemented this outcome:
- Naming Conventions. Create a fixing gathering for News articles. Both a Title and Filename for pages are metadata and can be used creatively in solutions. In a case, we use a Title fixing gathering as metadata. For example, we use People Spotlight as a initial dual difference in a pretension of any essay spotlighting a chairman on a team. We emanate a articles usually like any other news article, though to safeguard that a People Spotlight articles don’t get mislaid in a trifle of news, we emanate a page called Spotlight on People where we hurl adult People Spotlight articles.
This elementary proceed requires unequivocally small training other than to learn news authors to start articles for a subject with a unchanging fixing convention. We competence supplement some calm during a tip of a outline page to yield some context, and afterwards we supplement a Highlighted Content web partial with a following filters:
- Source: This site collection
- Page Type: News
- Filter: Title contains People Spotlight.
- View: Cards (usually we collect 8 or 16)
- Mapping Custom Metadata. If we don’t wish to use a fixing convention, we can manually supplement tradition metadata to a Site Pages library and use that metadata in Highlighted Content. This proceed is some-more flexible, though it is a bit harder to implement.
First, since there is no proceed proceed right now to supplement tradition metadata to pages, calm authors have to initial emanate a page and then go to Site Pages to supplement a tradition metadata (by regulating Quick Edit).
Second, to precedence tradition metadata in Highlighted Content, we have to map a tradition skill to an accessible RefinableString in a hunt schema – and afterwards wait for your index to run to make it probable to use a metadata in Highlighted Content.
This multi-step set adult routine can be achieved customarily by Site Collection administrators, though once it is set up, a tradition metadata can be used in a filter. we mostly use this proceed when we emanate Governance and Training smoothness sites, and we can learn accurately how to set this adult in this slide deck.
Rollup of papers by type
Highlighted Content can also be used to hurl adult papers formed on an existent skill (for example, a common tenure in a Title) or by tradition properties, as in a instance for News. If we use a same skill in mixed site collections, we can map a skill in a hunt schema during a reside turn to emanate some engaging solutions to boldly bond calm opposite site collections. It will take some planning, though it will concede we to accomplish many of a “roll up” scenarios from classical sites on complicated Communication or Team Sites — even in a new “flat” world.
Limitations of Highlighted Content
No ability to customize what is displayed — yet: The encouragement that we am many looking brazen to when it comes to Highlighted Content is being means to control that attributes are displayed in a arrangement cards. When a web partial initial came out, we were means to customize a cards for a prohibited notation – and afterwards that capability was removed. I’d unequivocally adore to be means to select either we arrangement a Title of a item with or though a name of a chairman who final updated it and a date it was final updated.
No ability to write a formidable filter: Today, any of a filters we supplement to Highlighted Content is an OR operator. This is OK some of a time, though not in all cases. I’d like to be means to supplement an AND as good as an OR as good as a multiple of filters to yield some-more stretchable combinations to showcase content.
Doesn’t work when Office 365 Groups are used to yield confidence entrance to a site: Let’s contend we have a private Communication Site called Sales Marketing where we are edition calm for usually a Sales organisation and a Marketing teams. Each organisation has their possess Office 365 Group – one for Sales and one for Marketing. Membership in a Groups are confirmed by a leaders of a dual teams. You can use Highlighted Contents on any of a organisation sites, and all will work. You will have a problem with this web partial on a Sales Marketing site if permissions to entrance a site is managed by adding a Sales Team and a Marketing Team Groups to any of a accede groups on a Sales Marketing site.
In this scenario, Highlighted Content will not lapse any calm for organisation members. In simplest terms, users contingency have entrance to a site regulating Highlighted Content by being members of an Active Directory organisation such as a Everyone or Everyone solely outmost users organisation OR they need to be an away named user on a site to precedence search-based web tools like Highlighted Content. This is a underline of Office 365 that we ran opposite on one of my projects after stating it as a bug and spending hours and hours contrast with a illusory Microsoft support technician, Josh Schonert. This underline has not nonetheless resulted in any show-stopper issues for us, though it combined some baffling contrast situations until we figured out what was going on.
Here’s another proceed this competence perceptible as a problem for we — and how we detected a issue. We were regulating Highlighted Content to hurl adult news articles on a Communication Site. As we was configuring a site, we combined a core intranet organisation to a site regulating a Office 365 Group for a organisation so that we could get a co-worker to exam a site for me. Highlighted Content worked good for me — though no one on my organisation could see a same formula we saw during testing.
When we combined a people as particular users in a Visitors organisation and afterwards waited for a hunt index to run, those people saw formula in Highlighted Content. But no one in a Group saw formula — no matter how prolonged we waited for calm to be indexed. When we “launched” a site to a whole classification by adding Everyone solely outmost users to a Site Visitors group, all of a Highlighted Content web tools worked for everyone.
If we wish to know because this happens — so we can devise your sites and contrast accordingly, here’s what Josh was means to figure out for us. The outline is a bit technica,l though a critical outcome is that this is something users of this web partial should know about:
- Highlighted Content Web Part and UseRemoteAPI. Highlighted Content uses a hunt information provider in sp-component-utilities. The hunt information provider posts a hunt ask to _api/search, that ends adult being posted to a base site. If a web partial resides on a site other than a base site collection and a user did not have a UseRemoteAPI accede on a base site, this used to not work. However, a small over a year ago an escalation was brought to a product organisation that addressed this and now a web partial will run a query formed on a site it is on instead of a base site.
The other square is that a UseRemoteAPI accede has to be practical to all equipment within a index so once a accede is practical to a site, it will be practical during a crawls on a site and will refurbish a accede of a user. (Don’t ask me to explain this — I’m quoting directly from Josh and this whole divide is flattering most Greek to me! But it competence meant something to you!)
- Office 365 Groups and Permissions. More recently, there has been some contention per Office 365 Groups (Dynamic Groups) being combined to SharePoint Groups (or directly) for requesting permissions on those sites. Office 365 Groups are singular in their hunt duty to routine queries. In sequence for Dynamic Groups to be means to use a hunt function, a switch called EnableDynamicGroups must be enabled. SharePoint Sites (not combined by Office 365 Groups) do not have this enabled by default, that means queries done by a hunt components do not work when permissions are practical by regulating Office 365 Groups.
Microsoft perceived requests seeking for a change here though a messaging from a product organisation has been as follows:
“We don’t have any skeleton for fluctuating a use of EnableDynamicGroups. The reason we did not simply capacitate this everywhere is a opening implication. To get decent performance, a warm-up of a organisation memberships in federated office is necessary, though doing this warm-up when users record in (or their token is refreshed) incited out to run AAD into a ground. Using EnableDynamicGroups by itself doesn’t have this effect, though if there’s no warm-up and an AAD turn outing or dual is indispensable to fetch a complicated organisation memberships, a query will have a latency chastisement that’s typically in a sequence of hundreds of milliseconds.”
Here’s a bottom line: Make certain we are regulating Highlighted Content customarily on sites where users get entrance directly on a site (for example, on a complicated Team Site) or on a Communication Site that is open to a whole organization.