HP’s Envy 17 is a absolute laptop that consumers can afford. This incomparable appurtenance might never wandering distant from a table, though it should keep we from blank your desktop PC in many ways.
Announced Monday and accessible after in May, a Envy 17 will have a starting cost of $1,050. The specs offer some important opening parts, as you’ll see when we run down a list:
HP Envy 17 price, specs and features
- CPU: Intel 8th-generation Core i7-8550U
- Memory: Up to 16GB of DDR4-2400 SDRAM (the bottom indication has 8GB)
- Display: 17.3-inch FHD (1920×1080) IPS WLED backlit touchscreen
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce MX150 with 2GB GDDR5 memory
- Storage: 1TB 7,200rpm tough expostulate with a 16GB Intel Optane Memory module, and a DVD drive
- Connectivity: Three USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A, one HDMI 2.0, one Gigabit ethernet, audio jack. The single USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) Type C supports HDMI 2.0b, DisplayPort 1.2, Power Delivery 3.0, and HP’s Sleep Charge, that can assign a battery to 50-percent ability in about 45 minutes.
- Wireless: Intel 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2×2), Bluetooth 4.2 Combo.
- Dimensions: 16.38 x 10.94 x 0.91 inches
- Weight: 6.41 pounds though AC adapter
- Battery: The 3-cell, 52.5Whr battery lasts for adult to 9 hours and 15 mins of churned usage, and adult to 8 hours and 45 mins of video playback.
- Color: Natural Silver
As we can see from a specs, a Envy 17 packs a high-end quad-core mobile processor that will broach some-more energy than many people will use. Our tests on other laptops have shown that a elementary dual-core processor suffices for mainstream applications, though quad-core comes in accessible for some-more complete uses such as gaming and formulating graphics-heavy content.
The 8GB to 16GB of categorical RAM is nice, though a 12GB of Intel Optane memory is a notable bonus. It works as caching memory for a laptop’s 1TB tough expostulate to make that normal storage feel a whole lot faster.
While a Envy 17 doesn’t get a Sure View remoteness toggle that’s accessible on a Envy 13 sibling, HP does offer a 4K arrangement option. Just note that this gorgeous, aloft fortitude will cringe content and icons onscreen, and also empty your battery faster.
The GeForce MX150 dissimilar graphics isn’t going to be as quick as a company’s GTX mobile parts. However, it’s a large step adult from Intel’s UHD 620 integrated graphics—something we could even play games on. If we demeanour closely, we can see a additional movement HP built into a hinge area to assistance a MX150 stay cool.
A final fact is all about looks: The formidable artwork along a behind of a hinge, that closely resembles a demeanour of honed Damascus swords and knives and is named after them. HP combined this to certain Envy models to assistance them mount out from all a sandblasted steel and glossy cosmetic out there, and it does a trick.
Why this matters: The Envy 17 ticks off a lot of boxes for some-more worldly mainstream users who caring about character as good as power. It’s also flattering affordable. The Envy 17 could be someone’s work-from-home PC with few compromises, and we could even lift it somewhere if we unequivocally wanted to. We’ll puncture even serve into a sum for we if we get a possibility to exam it.