This ebook, based on a special feature from ZDNet and TechRepublic, looks at emerging autonomous transport technologies and how they will affect society and the future of business.
Ryder System, which provides commercial fleet management, transportation services and a supply chain platform, said it has acquired e-commerce fulfillment provider MXD Corp. for $120 million.
The goal for Ryder is to bolster its omnichannel retail transportation efforts and grab more last mile deliveries for large and bulky goods.
In the deal, Ryder gets 109 MXD e-commerce fulfillment facilities including cross dock hubs as well as order and facility management platforms.
MXD will give Ryder a wider footprint of 121 e-commerce hubs to better meet 2-day delivery requirements as well as infrastructure to bring bulky goods to customers ordering online.
Ryder has global supply chain tools and a network in U.S. and Canada. End customers are in verticals including auto, technology, health care and industrial firms. Ryder has been investing in new markets such as commercial ride sharing, electric vehicles and
Here’s a look at Ryder’s broader transportation strategy.
For 2017, Ryder delivered revenue of $7.33 billion with lease and rental sales of $3.28 billion and services sales at $3.57 billion. Fuel services accounted for the remainder. Net income for 2017 was $790.6 million.
- Tech and the future of transportation: From here to there
- Infographic: Most workers say it will take a while for autonomous transportation to impact their job
- Free PDF download: Tech and the future of transportation
- Dossier: The leaders in self-driving cars
- The obstacles to autonomous vehicles: Liability, societal acceptance, and disaster stories
- Why hyperloop is poised to transform commutes, commerce, and communities
- How autonomous vehicles could save over 350K lives in the US and millions worldwide
- The X-factor in our driverless future: V2V and V2I
- The retail renaissance: Leading brands use data and AI to win
- Nike’s purchase of analytics firm Zodiac highlights focus on customer lifetime value
- DHL rolls out new same-day delivery service for online retailers
- Walmart steps up Amazon battle with nationwide grocery delivery
- QVC, HSN, Liberty Interactive’s retail brands become Qurate, aim for ‘third way to shop’
- Amazon delivery service: Why Bezos is launching Shipping with Amazon
- Amazon’s Key effort: How Alexa, Prime and privacy may comingle