Mainstream smartphones upheld a $1,000 starting cost while a peculiarity of phones reduction than $300 softened significantly. Wearables still haven’t left mainstream, though a Apple Watch is a throng favorite. we had a blast covering mobile tech in 2017 and demeanour brazen to kicking off 2018 with another revisit to Vegas for CES in January.
This year-end post includes my 10 many noticed posts from 2017, some “best of” titles for this year, answers to final year’s questions, and questions we wish to have answered in 2018.
Most noticed articles of 2017
- 7 small-screen smartphones: Can a 4-inch iPhone SE trump rivals?
- The 10 best smartphones of 2017
- 11 reasons since Samsung’s Galaxy S8 is softened than Apple’s iPhone 7 for business
- The iPhone X is fundamentally Samsung’s Note 8 and Animojis
- Samsung removes a earthy home button: The Galaxy S8 is softened as a result
- MWC 2017: LG G6 announced with large screen, H2O resistance, and twin cameras
- LG G6 review: This affordable large shade business flagship doesn’t compromise
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus box roundup: Speck, Tech21, and Caseology
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Tech21 box roundup: Drop and shade word for a best smartphone
- Fitbit Ionic review: Tops a Apple Watch with aptness focus, prolonged battery life, minute nap tracking
Best of 2017
I have a few titles we would like to endowment to a devices, accessories, and program we checked out in 2017.
- Best altogether smartphone: we recently posted my 10 best smartphones for a 2017 holiday season with a Apple iPhone X knocking a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 from a tip mark after it spent many of a year there. we adore regulating both devices, though a Apple iPhone X is still my primary device after roughly dual months, that is unheard of for me with an Apple iPhone. It’s a 10th anniversary book of a iPhone and it is my favorite phone of 2017.
- Best smartphone surprise: Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone launched during $699 and we didn’t consider many about it. After a $200 cost dump and a few program updates, it’s tough to not suggest this batch Android smartphone during $499. The ceramic and titanium build is unmatched and there is a lot to like in this phone. The camera continues to be softened with app updates, though it still can’t compare a flagships labelled during twice a cost.
- Best Android smartphone: The Google Pixel 2 XL should be crowned a best Android smartphone, though a series of hardware and program issues that are still not entirely resolved had me recently lapse a one we bought. Samsung finished a large quip with a Galaxy Note 8 and a usually criminal we have with that device is a infrequently positioned fingerprint scanner. The S Pen is fantastic, a arrangement is one of a best available, and this is one of a singular flagships that still sports a customary 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Best iOS smartphone: This one is easy as Apple usually launches a integrate new phones any year. The Apple iPhone X is clearly a best Apple smartphone of 2017. Some might disagree that a iPhone 8 Plus is better, though a iPhone X gives us a glance of a destiny of a iPhone with no home button, minimal bezels, and flawless Face ID technology.
- Best BlackBerry device: A integrate of years ago, we suspicion we was finished essay about BlackBerry devices, though with TCL creation a hardware and BlackBerry Mobile stability to yield a Hub and other singular features, a BlackBerry KEYone is one of a best Android phones accessible today. If we need prolonged battery life and timely confidence updates, a KEYone is designed for you.
- Best tablet: It’s been a integrate of years given we owned an Apple iPad, though when Apple expelled a new smaller iPad Pro 10.5 with iOS 11 we had to give it a try. It is a illusory inscription and provides flawless opening for a masses. With a Apple Pencil, it is tough to disagree that many people couldn’t get by with usually an iPad Pro for many of their computing needs.
- Best smartwatch: I’ve tested a lot of smartwatches in 2017 and a usually thing that was transparent transparent to me is that all Android Wear inclination siphon and we would never suggest any of them. The Samsung Gear S3 and Gear Sport are plain choices, though overtly zero beats a Apple Watch Series 3, either we buy a one with LTE or not. It is arguable as a aptness tracker and GPS competition watch while also portion as a many absolute smartwatch.
- Best daily activity tracker: This one is tough to come adult with a singular collect since some people like tiny bands while others like incomparable devices. We have seen glorious trackers from Samsung, Garmin, and Fitbit this year. The usually transparent matter is that Jawbone and Pebble are out so a marketplace is focusing in on fewer companies. we like a Fitbit Ionic and Charge 2, a Garmin Vivoactive 3, and Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro 2.
- Best GPS competition watch: Last year we bought a costly Garmin Fenix 3 HR and still use it today. Garmin expelled 3 new Fenix 5 inclination that kick out a Fenix 3 HR, though we haven’t nonetheless finished a pierce to one of these devices. Polar, Suunto, TomTom, and others haven’t tender me with new products in 2017 so we suggest one of a Garmin devices.
Responses to questions from 2017
- Will VR turn some-more renouned now that Google Daydream is available?: Many Android inclination currently have OLED screens and work with Google Daydream, including a newest Samsung smartphone. we used VR once in 2017 and never see anyone regulating it or articulate about it. I’m not certain we have nonetheless seen adequate concentration on business use for a masses to adopt VR.
- Will Huawei/Honor grow mindshare in a US market?: This did not occur in 2017, though with a new $200 Honor 7X, expected US recover of a Honor View 10, and presumably even conduit partnership launch of a Huawei Mate 10 Pro in 2018, subsequent year might be a year we finally see Huawei gaining some US marketplace share. It is expected to hit Apple out of a series dual mark in a universe in 2018.
- Will wearables continue to event along and will other wearable companies go under?: The wearable marketplace is growing, though slowly. Apple is display a fastest growth, though Fitbit is also display guarantee in both a consumer and business sectors. There are some incentives from health word companies and as medical costs continue to arise we might see wearable adoption grow if there are incentives for customers.
- What’s going to be altered in a subsequent iPhone and Pixel?: Apple took divided a home symbol and combined Face ID record while Google offering some improvements in a camera. Both continued a trend of stealing a headphone jack. Apple combined wireless charging, while Google upheld it up. It’s transparent what a destiny of a iPhone will demeanour like, though we have no thought what Google will do with a Pixel 3.
Questions for 2018
- Will business continue to clear $1,000 phones by profitable high monthly fees?
- 2017 was a year of minimal bezels and large screens, what new pattern underline or tech will we see in phones in 2018?
- What will LG and HTC do to attain in a smartphone space?
- Will Google give adult on Android Wear or did it already?
Looking brazen to 2018
I tested a lot of phones in 2017 and demeanour brazen to some-more in 2018. I’m awaiting Samsung to repair a fingerprint scanner placement, Apple to launch phones but home buttons, and Huawei to concentration aggressively on AI. I’m not certain what LG and HTC will move in 2018 and if we will ever see another earthy keyboard on a BlackBerry.
I design Fitbit to recover a subsequent Ionic with improvements and some-more app support while Garmin continues to lead a marketplace in GPS sports watches.
What was your favorite smartphone, tablet, or wearable of a year? How about your worst?